This in-depth two-day short course is about handling pesticides (including herbicides) in ways that will reduce risks to people and our environment. It will be conducted by an instructor from the Cooperative Extension Service, a part of the College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources, University of Hawaii at Manoa. The course is co-sponsored with the State of Hawaii Department of Agriculture.
Registration has started. The registration fee per person is $100. Deadline for registration is September 9.
Please refer inquiries to:
- Charles Nagamine, Instructor/Coordinator
Pesticide Risk Reduction Education Program
College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources
University of Hawaii at Manoa
or to our webpage at http://pestworld.stjohn.hawaii.edu/pat/schedule.html The complete announcement is posted there.
The instructor will emphasize the study packet’s basic or “core” study guides, which provide information common to all categories of certification. (However, “category-specific” topics such as life cycles of specific pests and specialized equipment and calculations are covered only in the category-specific packets of study guides, not in the short course. So, if you plan to take a certification exam, you should study the “category-specific” materials in the study packets.) Topics covered in the short course include:
- Types and formulations of pesticides
- Understanding pesticide labeling & MSDSs
- Laws and regulations about buying, storing, transporting, applying, and disposing of pesticides, plus employee protection
- Integrated pest management (IPM) concepts
- General identification features and life cycles of pests
- Common application equipment
- Dilution and dosage calculations
- Pesticide movement and breakdown
- Groundwater protection
- Endangered species protection
- Carry-over. Resistance. Phytotoxicity.
- Hazards to pesticide handlers
- Protective clothing and equipment
- Mixing, loading, and application
- Transport, storage, and disposal
Read more about the study packets for the restricted use pesticide certification examinations at http://pestworld.stjohn.hawaii.edu/epp/pat_examprep.html
This course would benefit people who want to be better informed about handling pesticides properly or prepare for the Hawaii Department of Agriculture’s certification exam for restricted use pesticides. (Certification exams will be conducted at separate sessions by Hawaii Department of Agriculture employees.)
Certified applicators will not earn re-certification credits by attending this course.
You may download a copy of the leaflet, Test Your Math Skills or contact the instructor for a free copy. It presents exercises and answers that will help students refresh basic math skills needed to understand the instructor’s calculation examples. The exercises review:
- common fractions and their decimal number equivalents,
- rounding off,
- per cent,
- conversions between • seconds and minutes • ounces and pounds • fluid ounces, pints, and gallons • square feet and acres,
- reading tables, and
- calculating square feet of rectangular areas.
These basic skills (and other more complex ones) will help you answer some of the certification exam questions.
Students who find the exercises difficult will get more benefit from the short course if they seek tutoring before the course begins.